Archive | December, 2011

Exercising My Right Brain

5 Dec


I may be a lot of things, but artistic is not really one of them. I wish I was more artsy, but I’m just more left-brained – more logical than creative. But I really needed something to hang on the wall above my bed, and I finally decided that it would be fun to paint something myself. I had something pretty basic in mind, just some branches and leaves to keep it simple. Luckily one of my mom’s good friends is an artist and she gave me a mini painting lesson. Otherwise this little project probably would have ended in disaster.

Anyway, I had bought two large canvases at Hobby Lobby, so I made a few attempts at sketching on paper what I wanted to paint. I ended up with this:


I wanted the two canvases to work together and separately, and I think I accomplished that with my design. So the first step was to paint the background. I wanted a blended background, not all one color. So I used white, gold, and beige to mix various colors and blended them all on the canvas to get this:


The color didn’t come out exactly as I’d envisioned, but I was really pleased with the blend of shades.  And this part was really fun – no lines to stay within. 🙂

Here’s a shot of all my supplies, post background-painting:


I definitely meant to take a photo of each step, but I got really into it and forgot. Oops. So after I painted the background, I drew on my design using charcoal. That was probably the hardest part, to get it to look like my sketch. After that, I painted the branches, which is where I ran into a bit of a color problem. The branches were supposed to be a dark gray color. But when I mixed my colors like my “art teacher” showed me, they did not make gray. They made a brownish-purple color. No matter what other colors I added, I couldn’t get gray, so I gave up. I decided to go with the brownish-purple, and it actually worked out ok. After the branches I painted the leaves, a lighter purple. Here’s when I remembered to take another photo:


And here’s the final product, hanging above the bed:


By the way, all of these photos were taken with my iPhone, so sorry for the poor quality.

I’m pretty pleased with the end result, even though it’s not really what I originally envisioned. It definitely makes our bedroom look a little less sad! And it was actually really fun – I may even do some more painting soon.